2 Apr 2012

Mindfulness in Kerry with Thich Nhat Hanh


This is a poem read by Thich Nhat Hanh.  

 I am going to Kerry for the weekend retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh.   I have no idea why I am going.   Sometimes I like this stuff and other times, I don't know why I do it.   But I do love what they teach about the breath and about feeding the good seeds in ourselves.






Walking meditation with Thich Nhat Hang 


He sat under a tree with the children around him and drank a cup of tea.

Showing the children a trick




The weekend was a bit of a mixed bag.    I loved being there experiencing being around Thay and the brothers and sisters.   Just hanging around with them reminded me to be more mindful in walking, talking and eating.   The bell being rung on a fairly regular basis helped too as we stopped to take three breaths when it was invited.   We were invited to come back to our true home when we heard it.   I really liked that. It was a pleasure too to be a few feet away from Thay when listening to him give his dharma.   He is so gentle and funny.   His face lights up when he jokes or gives us something so simple to help us do this.   He is an amazing example on being able to concentrate and communicate well when being mindful of how you move and what you say.
   
I helped Sister Jewel as well doing some art with the teenagers.   Loved doing that.   They really are so talented. 

I was slightly distant from it though, maybe because I was a bit lonely, tired from the early getting up time (5.30am), and some of it was quite intense.   So I was not in my comfort zone with any of this.   But I was not alone.   A lot of us were exhausted.   Funny, at the same time, I took it quite lightly and enjoyed the brothers and sisters.   I had the craic a bit and just treated them as people, and was able to respect them when they were busy and had to be quite business like.

Such a wonderful experience from which to try and start putting some of this into my daily life.   None of this will be easy.   I live alone and am quite messy, not much order in my life.    I do not find it easy to get up in the morning and smile, just not easy.    I talk a lot and don't practise sitting or walking meditation a lot.   So loads to learn.   And all that is ok, as I am at least here.     There is always a chance for me,   Where I bring the body, the mind will follow, hopefully!


The Bell - Listen, listen, to that wonderful sound that brings me back to my true home.









No comments: